Abridgments and commentaries of Minhaj al-Talibin
BismiLlahir Rahmanir Rahim,
1. Sheikh Muhammad bin Yusuf al-Andulusi (d.740 a.h)- al-Wahhaj fi Ikhtisar al-Minhaj.
2. Sheikh al-Islam Zakariyya al-Ansari – Manhaj al-Tullab. Zakariyya al-Ansari also wrote a commentary upon his abridgment (Manhaj al-Tullab) providing Dalil and Ta’lil and named it Fath al-Wahhab bi-Sharh Manhaj al-Tullab. Sheikhs Sulaiman al-Bujayrmi and Sulaiman al-Jamal wrote marginalia (Hawashi) upon Fath al-Wahhab. Sheikh Ahmad Shumailah mentions another Hashiyah by the name of Miftah al-Bab from Sheikh Muhammad bin Ahmad ‘Abd al-Bari al-Ahdal. Several other Hawashi have been written but remain in manuscript only.
Furthermore, Sheikh al-Islam’s Manhaj was abridged by Sheikh al-Jawhari in his Nahj al-Talab.
Lastly, Imam al-Suyuti versified Minhaj al-Talibin in his poem entitled al-Ibtihaj ila Nadhm al-Minhaj, other versification exist by ‘Abd al-Karim al-Mawsuli and other.
1. Imam ibn ‘Imad al-Aqfahsi – al-Bahr al-‘Ajjaj ila Sharh al-Minhaj
2. Imam al-Zarkashi – al-Dibag fi Tawdhih al-Minhaj
3. Imam Siraj al-Din al-Bilqini – Tashih al-Minhaj
4. Imam al-Suyuti – Durr al-Tajj fi ‘Irab Muskhil al-Minhaj
5. Imam Fakhr al-Din al-Maradini – al-Bahr al-Mawwaj (14 volumes)
6. ‘Allamah Jamal al-Din al-Damiri – al-Najm al-Wahhaj fi Sharh al-Minhaj (4 volumes, published by Dar al-Minhaj)
7. Sheikh Taqi al-Din bin Qadhi Shuhbah- (title not mentioned)
8. The son of the aforementioned Taqi al-Din, Badr al -Din, known as Ibn Shuhbah al-Asadi – Bidayat al-Muhtaj and Irshad al-Muhtaj
9. Sheikh al-Islam Abu al-Fadhl ‘Ajlun – Hadi al-Raghibin ila Sharh Minhaj al-Talibin
10. Imam ibn Hajar al-Haytami – Tuhfat al-Muhtaj bi-Sharh al-Minhaj. The Mufta bihi work of Hadramawt, Hijaz, Sham Kurdistan, and Daghestan. Widely available, typically printed with the Hashiyahs of ‘Abd al-Hamid al-Sharwani and Ibn Qasim al-‘Abbadi.
11. Imam Jamal al-Din al-Ramli – Nihayat al-Muhtaj ila Sharh al-Minhaj. The Mufta bihi work of Egypt, easier than Tuhfat al-Muhtaj to a certain degree. Widely available with it’s indispensable Hashiyah by Imam Nur al-Din al-Shabramilisi. Both Tuhfah and Nihayah are the most reliable works for Fatwa in the Shafi’i Madhhab.
12. Imam al-Khatib al-Shirbini – Mughni al-Muhtaj ila Ma’rifat Ma’ani Alfadh al- Minhaj. Available through multiple publishers, considered to be the easiest commentary of Minhaj al-Talibin and ranks just under Fath al-Wahhab as the most reliable work for Fatwa in the Shafi’i Madhhab.
13. Imam Jalal al-Din al-Mahalli – Kanz al-Raghibin Sharh Minhaj al-Talibin
14. Imam Shihab al-Din al-Adhra’ – Qut al-Muhtaj
15. Imam Taqi al-Din al-Subki – al-Ibtihaj fi Sharh al-Minhaj
16. Imam Jamal al-Din al-Asnawi – (title not mentioned)
17. Imam Badr al-Din al-Ardibili – (not mentioned)
18. Sheikh al-Islam Zakariyya al-Ansari – (not mentioned)
19. Sheikh Muhammad bin Ahmad ‘Abd al-Bari al-Ahdal – I’anat al-Muhtaj ila Sharh al-Minhaj. The author reached the chapter dealing with divorce before passing away.
Sheikh Ahmad Shumailah mentions as a beneficial note;
Among the best commentaries mentioned are,
Tuhfat al-Muhtaj, for it is said that it encompasses knowledge, both implicitly and explicitly and Nihayat al-Muhtaj. Thereafter, Mughni al-Muhtaj.
Based upon Sullam al-Muta’llim al-Muhtaj by Sheikh Ahmad Shumailah al-Ahdal.